Recently I had a craving for something Mexican and cheesy. So I pulled out my trusty cookbook collection and went with Everyday Food’s Great Food Fast – one of my favourites for quick meal ideas.
This recipe was easy to make, its vegetarian, includes beer – which may be the first selling point for some, and the layered look is a crowd pleaser too! I enjoyed it, even as leftovers, simply reheated in the oven to toast up the layers and melt the cheese – yum!
RECIPE: Tortilla and Black Bean Pie – Serves 6
- 4 flour tortillas (10-inch)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced (remove seeds and ribs for less heat)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 ounces beer or 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
Follow the method from Martha Stewarts recipe link above, I followed it verbatum. Here is what the process looked like… Enjoy!
Have you ever made a tortilla pie? What did your version look like?